Thursday 1 March 2012

Weyland-Yutani Corporation: Building Better Worlds

Hi Gentle Reader(s), I'm a HUGE Alien franchise fan (though I detest calling it a franchise even if technically it is, and it has actually become). Anyway, if you are too, then check this out if you haven't already:


Peter Weyland at TED 2023

Change the world... and then the next thing you know you've got a milk-leaking android stuffing a rolled up magazine down your throat and aliens cutting the power then gestating you :( FAIL. To quote Astro from the Jetsons, Wrut wro, Wrorge.

But on the critical tip, I think the delivery is a little too overtly sinister. In my opinion, the interest of mass market appeal is usually best served through the selling of a concept, corporation, or project in a friendly, self-effacing, unassuming manner - a wolf in sheep's clothing approach seems to work best on the contemporary market and I'm assuming that would still hold water in 2023. The last thing you want to grandiosely proclaim is that we've become gods - it makes you look arrogant and reckless, if not a bit delusional - and though Weyland and others like him may very well be delusional, their gift is usually marked by the soft selling of potentially disasterous endeavors. This approach to Weyland lacks the subtlety required to envision people signing on with him to take a trip to the corner store, much less a trip to terraform LV-426 and the continued funding towards the development of advanced cybernetic organisms. In laymen's terms, he just comes off too intense and scary. And by the way, I don't blame Guy Pearce, I blame the writer and Ridley Scott (though I'm flinching as I admit this). But I really like the TED spin. I think that was a great idea, seeing as I'm a big fan of TED presentations and have been known to furrow my brow in concern over some of the shaky ethical implications I've gleaned through some of these talks... which again (and in reality) have been presented with a sort of harmless, self-effacing spin designed to gain mass support. What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment